Re: [linux-audio-user] demudi-base config (Newbie)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] demudi-base config (Newbie)
From: Vincent Touquet (vincent.touquet_AT_pandora.be)
Date: Sat Feb 15 2003 - 11:10:30 EET

On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 02:08:53AM +0000, tim hall wrote:
>I'm almost as new to Debian and Linux as I am to DeMuDi, so I've kind of
>dropped myself in at the deep end I guess.
>I've successfully installed the demudi-2.4.18 kernel, which I must say was
>remarkably smooth i.e. my system still works jus as well as it did before I
>installed the new kernel. Well done to whoever packaged that up!
>However, when I get to the point of configuring demudi-base it comes up with:
>modprobe: Nothing to load ???
>Specify at least a module or a wildcard like \*
You cannot do modprobe \*, you always have to modprobe a specific
modulename.

>and then it hangs. I'm confused. Where should I specify these modules?
In /etc/modules you can specify those modules you want to be loaded at
boot time. I put modules in there like my scsi host controller and the
module of my soundcard (snd-card-...) and the OSS emulation module
(snd-pcm-oss I think). Because the module system knows its dependencies,
automatically all the needed modules are loaded.

>Also my system can't find any opti92x module does this mean I have to go
>find/download one? I've been running the bluepoint/OPTi soundcard with mad16
>semi-succesfully up to this point. modprobe won't load seq-oss either which
>makes me suspect I have conflicts with my modules (?) :-/

If you just installed a new kernel, you probably don't have the alsa
modules for that kernel installed (look for a alsa-modules-2.4.18-...
package). Once you install that, look for all the snd-card-*.o modules in
/lib/modules/2.4.18/alsa/ and use the one referring to your sound card
to modprobe, eg. modprobe snd-card-fm801 (without the .o).

Modules are specific to a kernel version.

>I will admit to being only about half-way through all the available
>documentation, which _is_ mighty, _especially_ if I was compiling it.
>I don't suppose anything like a straightforward demudi install HOWTO exists
>just yet (I guess you're all flat out with current developments).
I don't know of one yet.
One useful place to look for docs is in /usr/share/doc/*, all
distributions put the docs for all packages in there.
Useful sites: http://www.djcj.org/LAU/guide/index.php,
http://www.mstation.org/ and of course google with the right keywords ;)

>forgive me if I'm being an utter twink here. If so, even a brief RTFM
>response would probably give me a significant clue. I include the results of
>my most recent lsmod & dmesg just to illustrate the point.
Feel free to ask more questions if the need arises.

best regards,
Vincent