Re: [linux-audio-user] yis ext3 ok for real-time / low-latency?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] yis ext3 ok for real-time / low-latency?
From: Frank Barknecht (fbar_AT_footils.org)
Date: Sun Feb 16 2003 - 15:04:37 EET

Hallo,
Matthew Yee-King hat gesagt: // Matthew Yee-King wrote:

> > Maybe I really should change, at least my freshly installed laptop...
> aha - is this why you were asking about usb audio cards a while
> back? which one did you get in the end?

Yes. I did get an Aver Travelmate 225XC (with Mobile Celeron 1.3 and
Intel graphics/sound) and apart from the Intel onboard sound it is a
really nice laptop, almost everything supported on Linux. I can really
recommend this notebook, it is also very quiet as long as the
DVD/CDRW drive isn't spinning.

Regarding the USB-sound I ordered an Edirol UA-20. It is a bit above
200 EUR (239,-) and it doesn't have digital-in. But I have S/PDIF at
home, so I hope, I won't miss this. I also ordered a Phil Rees
16-Faderbox (169,-), which is, what I need the UA-20's midi input
for.

Both items haven't arrived yet. I hope, they do on monday, which is my
work-free day in the week, so I can install and test it. Currently I'm
using a Debian unstable system as it is in stock on ftp.debian.org. I
will LL-patch the kernel a bit later, but currently I don't have net
access at home with the notebook, becaue I still have a 10Mbit network
here, using coax cables. But the Travelmate only has the modern
network connections, like, what's it called, "twisted pair"? So I need
to update my home network as well, or, like I did until now, abuse the
internet connection at the work office. (BTW: for transporting the
laptop between home and work, I found this to be a damn cool solution:
http://www.ortlieb.de/_prod.php?&lang=en&produkt=Office-Bag ;)

ciao