Re: [linux-audio-user] Alsa with OPL3-SA2 on Asus Laptop

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Alsa with OPL3-SA2 on Asus Laptop
From: Chris Bray (chris.bray_AT_key-systems.com)
Date: Mon Feb 17 2003 - 12:46:47 EET

Thanks all for your kind replies, I'm on digest so please forgive me
for replying to them all at the same time.

> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 21:15:45 +0100
> From: Frank Barknecht <fbar_AT_footils.org>
> To: "'linux-audio-user_AT_music.columbia.edu'"
> <linux-audio-user_AT_music.columbia.edu>
> Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Alsa with OPL3-SA2 on Asus Laptop
>
> Hallo,
> Chris Bray hat gesagt: // Chris Bray wrote:
>
> > I've been trying for a couple of days now to get
> > any sound from my laptop (rebadged Asus L7000,
> > Slackware 8.1, vanilla 2.4.20) and seem to be
> > getting nowhere fast.
> >
> > isapnp.conf contains all the settings that Windows
> > is using and everytime I try to get it running with
> >
> > modprobe snd-opl3sa2 (or snd-card-opl3sa2)
> >
> > I get
> > "Yamaha OPL3-SA Soundcard not found or device busy"
>
> Are you sure that you have an OPL3-chip inside?
> According to http://www.muenster.de/~akorves/asus_l7g_de.html (in
> German) the Asus L7000 has an Intel ICH 8x0, AC'97 Codec. You
> need the snd-intel8x0 module then.
>
> ciao
> --
> Frank Barknecht _ ______footils.org__

Sorry, it is an L7300, my bad. It's quite old and not listed
on the asus site anymore. (Celeron 400, 96mb, 10Gb, 13.3" TFT)

ISAPNP detects it as a OPL3SA2 and so does Win98.

> --__--__--
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 19:35:09 -0500
> From: Dave Phillips <dlphilp_AT_bright.net>
> To: linux-audio-user_AT_music.columbia.edu
> Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Alsa with OPL3-SA2 on Asus Laptop
>
> Hi Chris:
>
> If you can access the machine's BIOS when you boot it up perhaps you
> can retrieve some more detailed information regarding the
> audio chipset
> and its configuration.

No, the bios is very basic, doesnt let you do anything with audio.
Not even turn it off.

> For completeness sake I have to ask: how did you configure
> ALSA ? Did
> you build and install the entire package ? Were there any
> problems with
> it ?

I used
        ./configure --with-isapnp=yes && make && make install
didnt specify any particular cards
is there anything else I should have done

> --__--__--
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 19:55:39 -0500
> From: "Gustavo Zamorano S." <gzsuniq_AT_cableonda.net>
> To: linux-audio-user_AT_music.columbia.edu
> Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Alsa with OPL3-SA2 on Asus Laptop
>

> Chris:
> Did you run alsaconf that is under the alsa-driver-0.9.0rc6/utils
> directory ?. It should recognize what chip you have and modify
> /etc/modules.conf accordingly...
> GZS

No, I'll try that when i get back to the machine, I did run snddevices (?)
or something, as suggested in the README, but that didnt seem to make any
headway.