Re: [linux-audio-user] Mailing list for general music making questions?

From: tim hall (tim_AT_glastonburymusic.org.uk)
Date: Mon Feb 17 2003 - 13:25:38 EET

Sounds Good (sic)

I also feel there's a need for more Newbie-Friendly Mailing Groups. Most user
groups seem to operate at such a high level that they can be a bit
intimidating to the uninitiated (_especially_ this one :~). Obviously there's
a balance to be struck, but few people want a high volume of mail in their
inboxes. It's great to know that one has the ear (or at least eyes) of those
that are developing the programs that we use - or in my case, wish that I
could configure so I can use - but I also get the impression that most of
this list are developers of some description and probably don't need to
receive large amounts of Newbie Spam.

I have a lot to offer in terms of general musical knowledge and a fair
ability to communicate it. Obviously pure Newbie lists would have too high a
turnover to be much more use than mutual support groups, so a general music
list focussed on Linux users might be a way of fielding some of those
questions. If Linux is really going to become more than a hackers hobby then
it needs more approachable interfaces (& less Jargon). Music making itself is
a highly intuitive sport, some of the best singers I know have a tendency to
express themselves in studios like 'Can't you make it sound kind of Greener
than that?' and the number of talented guitarists who have asked me "Yah, but
what's a 'C'" is mindboggling.

Mind you I shall probably have to come back here when I want to find out if
it's possible to make microtonal music based on pythagorean pitch once I have
got my soundcard to work.

Champing at the bit

tim hall