Re: [linux-audio-user] delta44 and direct recording

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] delta44 and direct recording
From: TRBishop (gnudad_AT_charter.net)
Date: Thu Feb 27 2003 - 01:48:39 EET

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Bleichert" <syborg_AT_stny.rr.com>
To: <linux-audio-user_AT_music.columbia.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 3:49 PM
Subject: [linux-audio-user] delta44 and direct recording

> Hello All
>
> I'm evaluating a Delta44 sound card to use with Ardour and Audacity
> (Audacity until Ardour stabilizes, and maybe afterward). I've grabbed the
> manual for the 44 from the M-Audio site to check it out. The 2 example
> recording layouts they provide in the manual require an M-Audio 'Audio
> Buddy' (or something like it) to get a proper line level.
>
> now, I've been recording with my SBLive for a coupla years now and my
> guitar multi-effects pedal has given me the line level Ive needed. Will I
> actually need one of these Audio Buddy preamps? What have been the
> experiences here with and without them? Any? Also, I'll be adding a
> Behringer mixer to the setup - will I be able to drive the appropriate
> levels into the Delta44 from mic'ed guitar, bass, drums and vocals?
>
> Do I really need this Audio Buddy thing? It seems rather odd that it would
> be required and not a word about it spoken on the Dellta44's website.
>
> It was my intention to run all the instruments into the mixer (e.g. the
> Behringer UB1204) and then from the mixer to the inputs on the Delta44. Is
> this idea flawed?
>
> Advice appreciated. I'm willing to spend a few bucks on the card and mixer
> but I want to make sure I'm getting what I want.
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions - JB
>

> # John Bleichert
> # http://vonbek.dhs.org/latest.jpg

Hello,
Although I have wanted to get an audio buddy to simplify things, it is not
necessary. If you are using a mixing board, you're set. I have two
behringer mx602a's which are nice and small for desktop use, and they give
me a lot of flexibility for in's and out's. I plug my guitar into a board,
and the outs to the Delat44 breakout box. Works great.
Tom

TRBishop
gnudad_AT_charter.net