Re: [linux-audio-user] delta44 and direct recording

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] delta44 and direct recording
From: Anahata (anahata_AT_treewind.co.uk)
Date: Thu Feb 27 2003 - 10:49:57 EET

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 04:49:08PM -0500, John Bleichert wrote:

> recording layouts they provide in the manual require an M-Audio 'Audio
> Buddy' (or something like it) to get a proper line level.
>
> now, I've been recording with my SBLive for a coupla years now and my
> guitar multi-effects pedal has given me the line level Ive needed. Will I
> actually need one of these Audio Buddy preamps?

The Audio Buddy is just a preamp. Anythinge else you have that provides
sufficient gain will do the job.

You may find that the Audio Buddy gives you lower noise than the guitar FX
box, but if you weren't having a noise problem before there's no point in
wasting the money. If you want to use a real mic (as opposed to electric
guitar) noise becomes more of an issue as the mic output level may be
lower.

> What have been the
> experiences here with and without them?

Pro: The Audio Buddy supplies phantom power so you can use a condenser mic
Con: The Audio Buddy's phantom power is about 30-40V instread of the
     standard 48V so some connenser mics still won't work (duh!)
Pro: Other users have found the AB to be a dramatic improvement on the mic
     preamps in a 4 track minidisc system.
Con: The AB still isn't in the golden ears audiophile class, but it's
     probably up there with the preamps in a home recording mixer, so....

> Also, I'll be adding a
> Behringer mixer to the setup - will I be able to drive the appropriate
> levels into the Delta44 from mic'ed guitar, bass, drums and vocals?

Yes: the mixer should have mic preamps in it which will be at least as
good as the AB, and it probably supplies 48V phantom power in case you
need it. It will ceraiunly produce line level output that will be right
for the Delta44.

> It was my intention to run all the instruments into the mixer (e.g. the
> Behringer UB1204) and then from the mixer to the inputs on the Delta44. Is
> this idea flawed?

If you're prepared to invest in a mixer, you don't need the other stuff.
The only exception is where you get a golden-ears preamp at a cost of
[more that the whole mixer] to bypass the mixer's own preamps on
critical channels (e.g. vocals) but I don't get the impression that you're
in that league.. yet :-) Of course , you might want to keep the effect
pedal for the effects, but you can feed the output of through the mixer -
you'll just need to lower the mixers gain on that channel (trim control
and/or 'line input' switch.

Hope that makes sense!

--
Anahata
anahata_AT_treewind.co.uk       Tel: 01638 720444