[linux-audio-user] Re: New LADSPA Hints (Was: [ANNOUNCE] tapiir-0.7.1)

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Re: New LADSPA Hints (Was: [ANNOUNCE] tapiir-0.7.1)
From: Mike Rawes (mike_rawes_AT_yahoo.co.uk)
Date: Fri Feb 28 2003 - 09:59:29 EET

On 27 Feb 2003 23:23:00 -0500
Taybin <taybin_AT_earthlink.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-02-27 at 04:46, Steve Harris wrote:
>
> > A couple of things i'd like:
> > variable randomise of the parameters
>
> Speaking of randomizing the parameters, what happened to a random flag
> in LADSPA? As I remember, no one had an objection to it.

Hey, that's a point! There were a few new hints proposed a while back on
LAD...

[Rummage through archives...]

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 18:13:35 +0000
Steve Harris <S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> There have been a few suggestions recently, I'l try to summarise them
> for comment.
>
> MOMENTARY. A hint to suggest that a control should behave like a
> momentary switch, eg. on for as long as the user holds down the
> key/mouse button/whatever. Useful for reset or sync controls for
> example. Would be useful in the DJ flanger. Only applies to TOGGLED
> controls.
>
> AUDIO_RATE_CONTROL. Hints than an audio control should/could be
> controlled by a high time res. slider or control data, but shouldn't
> be connected to the next audio signal by default. I can't think of any
> simple examples off hand, but combined with MOMENTARY it could be used
> for sample accurate tempo tapping.
>
> RANDOMISABLE. Hints that its useful/meaningful to randomise the port
> if the user hits a button. This is useful for the steps of control
> sequencers, reverbs, and just about anything that's complex. Allows
> you to specify which controls can be randomised without anything too
> supprising happening to the user (eg. sudden +100dB gain would be
> unpleasent).
>
> --
>
> My comments: I really like MOMENTARY and RANDOMISABLE.
> AUDIO_RATE_CONTROL could be useful, but might be painful for hosts to
> implement. I dont have any particular use for it right now.
>
> - Steve

I'm a big supporter of AUDIO_RATE_CONTROL - I think we had come to the
conclusion that it should be a port hint, and named
LADSPA_PORT_CONTINUOUS_CONTROL or something to make it clearer what it
means.

-
Mike