[linux-audio-user] [OT] venting re: Mandrake 8.2

Subject: [linux-audio-user] [OT] venting re: Mandrake 8.2
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Fri Feb 28 2003 - 17:26:03 EET

Greetings:

  Sorry to be a pain, but I'm having so much trouble installing and
configuring Mandrake 8.2 that I'm beginning to doubt whether it can be
done. Here's a partial list of my trials and tribulations:

        1. The CD drive is actually a Toshiba DVD drive. Mandrake installed all
right from it but afterwards is unable to read from any disc I insert.
All I get is an uninformative "input/output error".

        2. The sound configuration is a joke, right ? I boot into KDE and hear
the KDE tune just fine, but when I try to run any bundled sound
application (XMMS, MIDI synth, etc) I get an error saying that the
output device is unreachable. When I test sound using the Drake tool it
says it's playing an 8-bit sample but I hear nothing. The tool asks only
if you do or do not hear the sample, it offers no advice on what to do
if you don't hear anything.

        3. The Internet configuration informs me that I have no connection even
when I do.

        4. The GCC 2.96 is weird, yes ? When I ran ./configure for the latest
ALSA I get an error telling me that the C compiler cannot produce
executables. This, whether I'm normal user or root. Whafug??!!

  So is it just me or are these well-known problems with Mandrake ? I'm
setting up two machines here, both experience the same problems with
Mandrake 8.2. I'm going to reinstall it once more then I'll give up and
move on to Red Hat. The only reason I'm installing it at all is because
the client wants it. Any and all advice will be vastly appreciated !

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

        The Linux Soundapps Site at http://linux-sound.org

Currently listening to: John Coltrane, "After The Rain"