Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: New LADSPA Hints - clarification of definitions

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: New LADSPA Hints - clarification of definitions
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2003 - 11:35:15 EET

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 05:22:06 +1100, Allan Klinbail wrote:
> The reason for using a sidechain (in the hardware world) as opposed to
> plugging everything inline.. is simplification of patching and
> minimising the number of cables being used.
>
> In software there would be no reason other than aestethics to include a
> sidechain as it is possible to plug modules into each other in series
> without getting ground noise from excessive amounts of cabling. So Steve
> you are correct it isn't really useful.

Actually, this isn't quite correct. There are times when you want to
process the amplitude of one signal (eg a bassline) with the dynamics of
another (eg. a drum beat). Its pretty cheesy, but I dont think preventing
things on aritstic metrit is a good precident ;)

> > For example the distinction between the control output of an envelope
> > follower and the gain reduction output of a compressor, the follower is
> > inteded to drive eg. a filters cutoff, wheres the gain reduction is just
> > inteded to be viewed by the user as a clue as to what is going on.
>
> Correct about control output. However gain reduction on a compressor
> actually controls the output level or gain from the unit, it is not
> simply for "the user as a clue as to what is going on".. Often when

I was refering to gain reduction meters, which are simply a way of giving
the user a clue (warning) what is going on, hence the distinction between
that and an signal output.

> compressing the resultant output may be larger than desired... When
> compressing a signal, input level is often boosted to get more of an
> effect from the compressor (usually this is controlled with the input
> gain on the desk) which is why the output level would often be very
> high.. gain reduction is a way of counteracting this.

I think you mean makeup gain here. Its genreally used to boos t the signal
level given a particularly heavy compression, but hypothetically you could
use it to reduce too.

- Steve