Re: [linux-audio-user] various questions (long)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] various questions (long)
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Mar 04 2003 - 11:42:18 EET

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 02:57:48 -0600, Levi Burton wrote:
> My next question is one concerning synchronicity of my composited tracks, and
> also of sample loops. I am not mathematically inclined, and i do in fact
> suck at math. What I would like to know is if there is (im sure there is) a
> formula for calculating audio segment lengths according to a specified BPM.
> For example, say I have a loop of some recorded drums at 120 BPM. I would
> like to know exactly how long the audio sample must be to match 120BPM,
> rather then trial and error.

Yes, its easy

There are 4 beats in a bar (well, in 4/4 music)
so 60 seconds / 120 BPM means there is 1/2 second per beat
therefore there are 4 * 1/2 = 2 seconds per bar

in short: bar time = 240
                     ---
                     bpm

I probably didn't explain that very well, but I expect someone will post a
better explanation.

Your triggered record thing sounds like a useful feature for TimeMachine
(http://plugin.org.uk/timemachine/) if I find time. It should be easy.

- Steve