[linux-audio-user] simple apps

Subject: [linux-audio-user] simple apps
From: Jane DT (jdennett_AT_science.uva.nl)
Date: Mon Mar 10 2003 - 11:34:10 EET

Hi
thanks for your suggestions on simple apps for simple people...

>From Julien:

> For just recording and checking mixer-settings, I think ecasound or
> qtecasound, if you like GUIs, might be ok. Otherwise there is still
ardour,
> muse and the other big ones, but they contain a lot of functionality.

um, sorry to be silly, but how does ecasound tell me whether my mixer
levels are suitable for recording the input? don't i need something
like a VU meter, ..or?

> Recording mp3s: Why not just record audio-data to a raw (.raw or .cdr)
file
> or .wav-file and convert them afterwards?

? gosh i really wasn't clear. i'm not sure what you are suggesting, but,
well, i think i'm doing that. but i need to do a bit of editing along the
way.

Matthijs:

> Sweep is quite a nice audio editor, if not that great at working with
> large sound files:

thanks! it has the functionality of x-fades which is really nice,
and audacity doesn't. but... hmmm... whats this about large sound files...
what happens?? <worries about spending hours to have it swept and mangled>

Alexandre:

> But, oh god, I installed ReZound 0.7 yesterday... It has VU meters
> for both recording and playing and an EQ analyser as well.
> Give it a try!

i tried. it sounds perfect, but... hmmm can't yet get it to compile. it
depends on a lot a lot of libs that are >versions than mine. i am still
struggling (debian woody/unstable)

so i'm still open for suggestions for a VU meter, or even some smart way
that makes my recording levels easy to assess...

Now this is a vsound (0.5) problem I've had for a while. It occurs on
realmedia files. Somewhen during the stream realplayer just closes. This
is what it says:

cygnus:~/mars> vsound --timing -f output.wav realplay
_1790918_blur_beagle_vi.ram
About to start the application. The output will not be available until the
application exits.
/usr/bin/vsound: line 163: 1366 Aborted
LD_PRELOAD="$pkglibdir/libvsound.so" "$@"

Any suggestions?