Re: [linux-audio-user] GWC quits

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] GWC quits
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Thu Mar 13 2003 - 18:24:27 EET

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 10:54:50AM +0000, Daniel James wrote:

> Some of the sound that people love is an artifact of the vinyl, and not on
> the studio tapes. Subjectively, some people say CD is less 'warm' than vinyl,
> whatever that means. It may be to do with information above the range of
> normal human hearing, which is affecting our brains in some other way.

maybe, but it's more likely the large amount of artifacts well within
the range of human hearing :-)
e.g. stereo crosstalk; various flavors of harmonic distortion;
bass resonances caused by the turntable arm; probably other
problems that i don't even know about.

don't get me wrong, I love vinyl, I love the sound of many of my LPs.
But most if not all turntables & records have very serious
fidelity "flaws".

--

Paul Winkler http://www.slinkp.com Look! Up in the sky! It's JUSTICE OF FIRE! (random hero from isometric.spaceninja.com)