[linux-audio-user] Unwanted "tremolo" on mic-in with SB Audigy

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Unwanted "tremolo" on mic-in with SB Audigy
From: scott thomason (scott_AT_thomasons.org)
Date: Sat Mar 15 2003 - 09:00:10 EET

Greetings. I recently purchased a SoundBlaster Audigy, thinking
it would be a good input device for use with my guitar (having
had problems with on-board C-Media and my former Diamond
MX-400). I am running it under alsa-0.9.0-rc6, with linux kernel
2.4.21-pre5 vanilla.

While using various synth tools like ams or galan (and with the
mic-in channel muted so I only hear the synth effect), I noted
that I wasn't receiving any input at all from the audio input
source. Upon further investigation, I noted that it was
necessary for me to use KDE's mixer to bump up the "IGain" to a
non-zero setting. Unfortunately, while this causes audio input
to occur, it has an unwanted tremolo-like effect.

Strangely, when I'm not using a synth tool and I'm just playing
my guitar normally (with the mic-in unmuted and the IGain off),
it sounds great. The card can accept input just fine. What's the
deal with the IGain setting, and how can I set things up
properly to avoid the "tremolo overload"?
---scott