Re: [linux-audio-user] Anyone able to run Csound in Linux in real-time?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Anyone able to run Csound in Linux in real-time?
From: Frank Barknecht (fbar_AT_footils.org)
Date: Tue Mar 18 2003 - 15:59:19 EET

Hallo,
Alexandre Prokoudine hat gesagt: // Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

> BTW, what is the license of Csound? Can it be legally included in
> GNU/*/Linux distributions? I' ve read its text, but it doesn't seem
> to enlighten me... ;-(

It cannot be legally included. The license of Csound is non-free in
the Debian/Open Source (tm) sense, because it prohibits distribution
if it's not for "educational purposes". As distributions are either
commercial (Redhat, Suse,...) or require free licenses (Debian) they
cannot legally include Csound.

You can use iCsound, though, which is like Csound stripped of the
freedom-offending parts.

ciao