Re: [linux-audio-user] New Machine

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] New Machine
From: R Parker (rtp405_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 07:04:41 EET

Hi,

--- Scott Thomason <scott_AT_thomasons.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 17:10:51 -0500
> Chris <grooveman_AT_comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > I am looking into building a new machine, and I
> want to do some
> > home-studio recording with it. I was hoping that
> some of you could
> > lend some of your expert advice.
> >
> > It sounds like SCSI is pretty-much a must in these
> situations, true?
>
> So in other words, nobody, myself included, thinks
> SCSI is necessary for this type of workstation
> nowadays.

I don't know if it's necesarry to have scsi drives. It
depends on your requirements.

I use an ICP Vortex four channel scsi LVD 160 hardware
controler with an audio array of eight 3.6ms seek
15,000rpm 18gig hdd. My studio will requre a second
channel that's the same as the current one. The scsi
controler is in a 64/66 pci slot.

I have done mastering of two track via LAN to a mac
while rysnc is running and the only person that knew
it was happening was me. I expect to run more
bandwidth expensive tasks concurrently and don't
believe it's going to be a problem. Of course, this
remains to be seen.

Obviously, I haven't built a personal workstation. I
own a small commercial studio and require performance,
hardware and data redundancy. I run ext2 with a hot
spare swap, 12/24 gig tape backup and rsync a mirror
via LAN to a large cheap ide drive.

I'm no expert on peformance but for a personal
workstation, I would consider it a must to investigate
ide drives.

ron