Re: [linux-audio-user] Devices in Audacity

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Devices in Audacity
From: iriXx (m_AT_iriXx.org)
Date: Fri Mar 21 2003 - 11:17:01 EET

Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> John Ouzts wrote:
>
>> I have also discovered that kmix appears as a gray window without any
>> sliders or labels. Alsamixer shows one slider labelled DAC, which will
>> adjust. I also got an error message with says: Mixer device /dev/mixer
>> is missing volume and PCM controls.
>>
>> Gentoo uses devfsd, so I am wondering if I need to set some devices in
>> devfsd.conf.
>>

> I don't use devfsd (yet) but IIRC you shouldn't run the ./snddevices
> script after installing the alsa-driver package. It seems to cause
> problems.
>
> Miriam should be able to give more light on this as she recently
> conquered the problem.

hi, yes thats exactly what i ended up doing... i'm using Mandrake 9.0
and alsa CVS from a few months back (havent had time / havent dared to
upgrade since it was working so nicely!)...

its very important *not* to run snddevices on a devfs machine. from a
clean install of mdk 9.0 i left all the alsa rpms in place (this is
important too. not sure if they do anything settings-wise but if you
remove them you risk killing KDE and the knock-on effect of mangling
X... which is what happened to me, even though i restored all the KDE
rpms...)

the only thing necessary to do is tar up and then remove all the alsa
modules from /lib/modules *except* for soundcore of course. build cvs
and install as normal. *dont* run snddevices.

i hope this will work on all devfs machines... it seems to work well on
mdk 9 on my thinkpad anyhow....

good luck!

m~

--
iriXx
www.iriXx.org

copyleft: creativity, technology and freedom? info_AT_copyleftmedia.org.uk www.copyleftmedia.org.uk

_ ( ) ascii ribbon against html email X / \ cat /dev/sda1 > /dev/dsp

*** stopping make sense ***