Re: [linux-audio-user] Not able to play sound

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Not able to play sound
From: Tim Hall (tim_AT_glastonburymusic.org.uk)
Date: Sat Mar 22 2003 - 08:06:51 EET

Your email is confusing, did you mean to start a new thread or have I missed
something?

I'm not familiar with RedHat
Have you checked that the relevant modules are loaded? (lsmod)
and the existence of sound devices? (ls /dev/snd)
probably useful to know what alsa version you're using too, if you're using
0.5 then alsaconf should do this for you. I know that utilities like
sndconfig write their own sections to /etc/modules.conf, so may overwrite
your modifications.

please ignore this if I've just lost the thread & I'm stating the obvious.

tim hall

On Friday 21 March 2003 16:29, Narendra Shah wrote:
> I am on RH 8.0, installed the alsa-driver-0.5.10b-2mlx.i386.rpm , which as
> mentioned on the site is tested for ALS4000 on 2.4.18-14 which happens to
> be the version on my box too. I have also modified
> the /etc/modules.conf to include:
> # ALSA portion
> alias char-major-116 snd
> alias snd-card-0 snd-als4000
> # module options should go here
>
> # OSS/Free portion
> alias char-major-14 soundcore
> alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
>
> # card #1
> alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
> alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
> alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
>
> Still there is nothing coming out of the speakers.
>
> Any help is appreciated.

I assume the rest of this is not relevant?