Re: [linux-audio-user] Audio file format

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Audio file format
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Apr 01 2003 - 00:11:37 EEST

On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 08:16:44 +0200, Robert Epprecht wrote:
> file 1.wav
> 1.wav: RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft ADPCM, mono 44100 Hz
>
> I thought WAVE was a format without compression? The duration of the files
> (when played by 'play') shows that this is not possible. So what is it?

Yes, its ADPCM (adaptive PCM) compressed. There are a bunch of diferent
ADPCM formats, I dont know which ones WAV files can contain have you tried
bet to decode it to something useful.

WAV files dont have to be uncompressed, there are a few different lossy
compression schemes that WAV can contain.

- Steve