[linux-audio-user] HELP: good sound card

Subject: [linux-audio-user] HELP: good sound card
From: Joerg Anders (j.anders_AT_informatik.tu-chemnitz.de)
Date: Wed Apr 02 2003 - 22:10:32 EEST

Hi all!

I have ISA sound card AWE 64 with 24 MB RAM extention.
This way I can load the sound font "8mbgmsfx.sf2".

This is the one and only MIDI sound for my ears.

All other techniques for instance software synthesis with
TiMidity++ sounds terrible to me, as if the
orchestra plays in a stock pot.

Now I want to buy a new computer. Unfortunatley, most
boards don't offer a ISA slot, only PCI slots.

Therfore my question: Does anybody has experience with
PCI cards on Linux? Perhaps somebody uses this
(or an similary) sound font with some PCI sound
card. (?)

If so, please send me a recommendation! Note! The
PCM sound is of no interest to me. It doen't matter
whether it noises(or so ...). I'm only interested
in good sound synthesis.

        Thank you in advance!

--
J.Anders, Chemnitz, GERMANY (ja_AT_informatik.tu-chemnitz.de)