[linux-audio-user] Mandrake 9.0 Roland UA-100

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Mandrake 9.0 Roland UA-100
From: Chris Lyon (chris.lyon_AT_spritenote.co.uk)
Date: Fri Apr 04 2003 - 21:35:08 EEST

Dear all,

Just a quick introduction before I get to the problem.
I have a lot of Windows experience of one sort and another, upon which I
develop in Python. I'm new to Linux. I veiw make , kernels ,device
drivers with a fair degree of trepedation.

I have a Roland UA-100 which worked correctly on this machine using
Win2K. I have cleaned windows off the machine and loaded Mandrake 9.0
and have been attempting to work through

http://www.michaelminn.com/linux/usbua100/README.html

I have altered the make files and loaded up Motif et al. and the file
now make and make install run with no errors.
Upon restarting the machine I find in /var/log/syslog

/lib/modules/2.4.19-16mdkenterprise/kernel/drivers/sound/usbua100.o:
unresolved symbol unregister_sound_dsp
/lib/modules/2.4.19-16mdkenterprise/kernel/drivers/sound/usbua100.o:
unresolved symbol unregister_sound_midi
/lib/modules/2.4.19-16mdkenterprise/kernel/drivers/sound/usbua100.o:
unresolved symbol register_sound_dsp
/lib/modules/2.4.19-16mdkenterprise/kernel/drivers/sound/usbua100.o:
unresolved symbol register_sound_midi
modprobe: insmod
/lib/modules/2.4.19-16mdkenterprise/kernel/drivers/sound/usbua100.o failed

I'm a bit stumped here because I don't understand how the .o file can be
prduced if there are un-resolved sysmbols.

I also notice I have no audio facilites listed in the Mandrake Control
Centre. Does this machine believe it has no audio, and could somebody
please elaborate if at all possible?

chris lyon