Re: [linux-audio-user] Mandrake 9.0

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Mandrake 9.0
From: Rob (lau_AT_kudla.org)
Date: Fri Apr 04 2003 - 23:16:24 EEST

On Friday 04 April 2003 14:18, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> AFAICT You're currently the number one distro to get complaints about
> audio apps.
> What's up with that?

I would guess it's a function of being popular among normal
(non-kernel-compiling ;) ) users, combined with not having anything of the
stature of Planet CCRMA available currently. (Thac's RPM's are a start, but
there are weird issues with a few of the RPM's and most people don't actually
know about it so there's a lot of reinventing the wheel going on.)

Meanwhile, Mandrake's never been too good at turning on things like MIDI
support or ALSA by default. I think I'm using OSS/Free here in 9.0 for
example. It sounds like 9.1 may have finally made that right.

Rob