Re: [linux-audio-user] Submitted for your approval

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Submitted for your approval
From: Mark Knecht (markknecht_AT_attbi.com)
Date: Sat Apr 05 2003 - 19:51:57 EEST

On Sat, 2003-04-05 at 07:57, Chris wrote:
> Hi Guys.
>
> Thanks for your input. I revamped it a bit, and I think I will get the
> seagate drive instead, and dump the RAID idea then.
> I also am thinking of getting an ASUS a7n8X DLX mobo instead then, Since it
> has the nForce2 chipset.
>
> Anythoughts there?
>
> (Anyone else have any input on my little scheme here?)
>
> Thanks a bunch!
>

> Chris

Chris,
   Think about the Asus A7V333 series instead. The nForce chipsets
aren't very stable yet under Linux. You may find yourself having to
patch kernels to get DMA working right. There have been some problems
with graphics controller interactions. (I'm hearing this on the Redhat
install lists a lot.) The A7V333 with PC2700 memory will be far more PC
than you need for audio recording + MIDI, and it does work. I'm writing
you this message from one.

   No RAID as you've decided. Be careful about Serial ATA which appears
on a few new Asus A7V333 MBs. RH users are not having much luck with
this yet. I don't know which distro you might be planning on using.
Stick with a good quality ATA/EIDE drive.

   Consider having two separate hard drives. One for the operating
system and swap space, one for audio. Consider making the audio drive an
external 1394 drive, if you have the money, as you will have portability
and they are easier to make very quiet if you use microphones in the
same room. Also, you can turn your audio drive off when you're doing
other things, reducing wear and tear and the risk of losing your
sessions.

   Again, be very careful about making sure the hardware on your MB is
supported. I had some issues with getting the Ethernet adapter would
work on this board. It took me a few days to find drivers and learn how
to build them.

Good luck,
Mark