Re: [linux-audio-user] Midi and VST server for vsti?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Midi and VST server for vsti?
From: Chris Cannam (cannam_AT_all-day-breakfast.com)
Date: Sun Apr 13 2003 - 20:25:05 EEST

On Sunday 13 Apr 2003 9:01 am, Ketil Thorgersen wrote:
> [...] when I start rosegarden I get the message "sequenzer
> exited" and then rosegarden starts, but of course with no sound
> from midi. This is what is in the sequenszer configuration section:
> " "-malsa_seq".

That last sentence confuses me. When you say "in the sequencer
configuration section", do you mean it's listed as a command-line
option in the sequencer section of the Rosegarden GUI's configuration
dialog?

If so, that would be quite strange, because the Rosegarden sequencer
doesn't expect that argument at all. (It's a familiar option to me
because fluidsynth uses it, but Rosegarden won't understand it.) Try
removing it and starting again.

That aside, the usual way to resolve problems of this sort is to try
running the "rosegardensequencer" binary from the command-line on its
own, without running the GUI. It should print more diagnostic
information that way. If you still have trouble with this, perhaps
try asking on the rosegarden-user mailing list.

> How would I go about getting softsynths to work?

With Rosegarden, you should be able to simply select any running
alsa-sequencer-interface-driven soft synth as an output wherever you
like. Rosegarden doesn't host synths for you, it just talks to any
that you have already running (or that you start up while Rosegarden
is running). The synths themselves (timidity, fluidsynth,
zynaddsubfx etc) can generally produce output either directly or
through JACK; the former obviously limits you to running one at a
time, but it's simpler for initial diagnostic purposes. Either way
you will probably need to disable aRts.

Chris