RE: [linux-audio-user] fluidsynth sound breaks on disk/cpu intense operation

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] fluidsynth sound breaks on disk/cpu intense operation
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Tue Apr 15 2003 - 02:35:41 EEST

> But, even though I run it as root, fluidsynth's sound still audibly
> breaks on a cpu/disk intensive operation - I tested it with starting
> OpenOffice and with running sxid.
>
> Is there any way to fix this? And should I try installing Timidity for
> such cases? I just want the synth to work in parallel with regular work.

Hi,
   In my experience it's often the way your card is configured for
interrupts. Please see some of the info on Jan Depner's page.

http://myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69/ALSA_JACK_ARDOUR.html

Try to make sure your sound card is on IRQ 9, 10 or 11, 9 being the best. If
you're on 10, or 11, make sure there are no PCI hogging devices on 9 or 10.

   If this is an interrupt problem then it will happen with any application
that makes similar usage of the PCI bus and memory. I do not use Timidity,
but I would expect that it is similar.

Good luck,
Mark