Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [fluid-dev] fluidsynth sound breaks on disk/cpu intense operation

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [fluid-dev] fluidsynth sound breaks on disk/cpu intense operation
From: Frank Barknecht (fbar_AT_footils.org)
Date: Tue Apr 15 2003 - 12:59:45 EEST

Hallo,
Daniel James hat gesagt: // Daniel James wrote:

> > Out of the box, the Linux kernel is a mess for music.
>
> That's to be expected if you are using a distro intended primarily for
> servers. I've actually had better results - as far as stability and latency
> go - with stock Mandrake kernels than I did with Windows 95/98.

I guess, the Mandrake kernel isn't as stock as the kernel on
kernel.org. A lot of distributors already patch the kernel one way or
the other. But the stock 2.4.x kernel on kernel.org will give audio
dropouts under load, that's why it is strongly recommended that you
use a preempt- or LL-patched kernel.

ciao