RE: [linux-audio-user] jackd fails to start: cannot create shm segment /jack-shm-registry (No such file or directory)

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] jackd fails to start: cannot create shm segment /jack-shm-registry (No such file or directory)
From: Ivica Bukvic (ico_AT_fuse.net)
Date: Fri Apr 18 2003 - 23:10:20 EEST

/dev/shm exists right after install, but there is no entry in the
/etc/fstab.

The funny thing about the /dev/shm dir is that you cannot remove or
modify even as root. It's default creation date is Dec.31 1969 until it
gets mounted, at which point it converts itself to the appropriate date.

I had to manually add the below included line to fstab:

none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0

and had to mount it manually in order for the jack's ./configure to
report that it has successfully found POSIX memory sharing. Yet, the
error persists when the newly compiled jackd is started:

key for /tmp/jack/shm/jack-shm-registry is 0x6a0bdb99
cannot create shm segment /jack-shm-registry (No such file or directory)
cannot create engine

Should I simply revert to the older version of Jack until this stuff is
sorted out?

BTW, configure does revert to the other style of shared memory stuff
(System V shm) if it does not find POSIX one, but even if I compile that
one, I still end up with the same error/results.

Thanks for your help!

Ico