Re: [linux-audio-user] Laptop Stereo Recording Problem

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Laptop Stereo Recording Problem
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Apr 24 2003 - 14:14:27 EEST

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 11:48:36 +0100, Daniel James wrote:
> > I think the key difference is that pan is something you do to a single
> > mono signal, while balance is something you do to a stereo signal.
>
> It's true you don't have a balance control on a mono amplifier. But you can
> pan a stereo track in Audacity...

Yes, the difference is that changing the balance will never reduce the
stereo seperation, whereas panning will:

Balance Pan

L ----G----> L L ----------G--> L
                                 \ /
                                  \ G
                                   \/
                                   /\
                                  / G
                                 / \

Where G is an amplifier.

BN, there are some audio production situations where you use balance, not
pan, eg in mastering, where you dont (necceserily) want to mix the two
channels, you just want to change the relative lelvels.

- Steve