[linux-audio-user] Capture with DIGI9636 Hammerfall Light and playback with PCI 128

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Capture with DIGI9636 Hammerfall Light and playback with PCI 128
From: Martin Buechler (martin.buechler_AT_vrweb.de)
Date: Wed Apr 30 2003 - 13:21:47 EEST

Hi,

I am able to record using alsa/jackd/ardour with the analog input from
an AEB/4-I and plain pcm.rme9652 after tweaking /etc/asound.state by
hand for getting the internal input from the AEB working. jackd/ardour
works also very well with the PCI 128 only, even at period size 64.
Now, I want to record with the RME and having analog playback through
the PCI 128. Is this possible?

If yes, how to setup .asoundrc? I have been trying many combinations
of multi and ttable settings, but honestly, I do not fully understand
the syntax and semantics of alsa configurations.

I am using kernel and alsa-0.9.0 from a recent PlanetCCRMA
distribution, which is really a piece of gold.
BTW, after fumbling around with my own kernel patching, I ended always
with a complete freeze of ardour, when running jackd in realtime mode.

Here is, what aplay says:

[root_AT_ardour root]# aplay -l
card 0: AudioPCI [Ensoniq AudioPCI], device 0: ES1371/1 [ES1371 DAC2/ADC]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: AudioPCI [Ensoniq AudioPCI], device 1: ES1371/2 [ES1371 DAC1]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: 15 [RME Digi9636 (Rev 1.5)], device 0: RME Digi9636 (Rev 1.5)
[RME Digi9636 (Rev 1.5)]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

[root_AT_ardour root]# aplay -v -D hw:1,0
/usr/share/tuxracer/sounds/tux_on_rock1.wav
Playing WAVE '/usr/share/tuxracer/sounds/tux_on_rock1.wav' : Signed 16
bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo
aplay: set_params:789: Access type not available

Pretty strange, since ardour does not complain, when trying to
playback with the RME. Someone stated, that ardour ist writing
directly to the hardware, and seems to have no problem, when there's
nothing connected to the cards digital outputs. I also don't dare
trying to understand, why there is one capture/playback device in
/proc/card1/dev for the RME, while ardour reports 18.

Since I do not want to purchase another AEB/4-O analog output box, I
would really like to know, how I could use my cheapo SoundBlaster.

Thanks for your help

Martin