[linux-audio-user] xruns: file system ext3 --> reiserfs?

Subject: [linux-audio-user] xruns: file system ext3 --> reiserfs?
From: derek holzer (derek_AT_x-i.net)
Date: Fri May 02 2003 - 01:53:28 EEST

dear list,

i'm running Debian kernel version 2.4.20 with ext3 an an Asus L3 laptop
with a Hammerfall HDSP, and my xruns using Jack are frequent and nasty!
i would say in the nieghborhood of every 10-20 seconds, i get an xrun of
10-200 ms. i have done all the hdparm stuff, all the necessary low
latency and preemptive patches, and have everything set up to run
realtime capabilities for Jack. the problem, of course, is that with
ext3 and kernel 2.4.20, the machine totally freezes when i do a
"jackstart --realtime". [this is documented somewhere, so i know it's
not just me!]

so, i figure my solution is to convert the filesystem of my main
partition to reiserfs, thereby allowing me to gain from its better
journal [i.e. less disk activity, i guess] and the ability to use
realtime capabilities.

and here is where i start to feel like a dumb newbie :-)

if my main partition is /dev/hda2, and i am working from another
[temporary] root file system in /dev/hda6, how can i back up /dev/hda2
to /dev/hda7 and put it back again after doing the ext3-->reiserfs
conversion WITHOUT transferring back over the old file system? i tried
dd if=/dev/hda2 of=/dev/hda7, but when i mounted /dev/hda7, it was
turned into an ext3 filesystem, although i had already made it reiserfs.
i assume that means if i changed dev/hda2 to reiserfs and moved the
backup copy there again, it would be ext3 all over again. i tried a few
things with cpio that didn't work, and i am not sure i have the syntax
right with tar. can someone please help me out here?

thx.
derek