Re: [linux-audio-user] Mandrake 9.1 kernel problem

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Mandrake 9.1 kernel problem
From: Daniel James (daniel_AT_mondodesigno.com)
Date: Tue May 06 2003 - 11:24:34 EEST

> I have find alsa-utils, libalsa2, libalsa2-devel and libalsa-data
> on this french mirror :

ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/unix/linux/distributions/Mandrake-devel/cooker/cooker/Mandrake/RPMS/

Found them!

The version number had been bumped up from:

libalsa2-0.9.2-3mdk.i586.rpm

to:

libalsa2-0.9.2-4mdk.i586.rpm

The Mandrake Club rpmfind and mirror find scripts still linked to the
older package, so I got 'file not found' yesterday.

There doesn't appear to be an RPM maintained of alsa-tools - I don't
know why, because Mandrake packages all the other ALSA stuff. I built
envy24control from source and it looks OK so far. A very elegant
looking application.

> you also need the source of the kernel you are using. For
> the multimedia kernel just install the kernel-multimedia-source
> package at Thac's RPMS.

I'd never needed to upgrade ALSA RPM's between distribution upgrades
before, so I didn't know that. It's a bit unusual to require source
in order to upgrade a binary, isn't it?

Thanks for the help!

Daniel