Re: [linux-audio-user] [OT] ? DVD questions

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] [OT] ? DVD questions
From: Raphaë Haberer-Proust (raph_AT_gmx.fr)
Date: Mon May 12 2003 - 13:22:21 EEST

Hello,
> 1. What software do you use for viewing DVDs ?
MPlayer or vlc (video lan client)

> 2. Do you use that software for watching AVI, MPEG, or other video
> formats ?
Yes, even quicktime and wma. I even use the mplayer-mozilla-plugin, so I
can directly watch win streaming stuff. It's just wonderfull!

> 3. What software do you use for ripping/encoding DVDs ?
Mencoder

> 5. Overall, how would you rate Linux DVD support, particularly
> compared to Windows or the Mac ?
DVD viewing is ok, but not perfect. We all know why and we all know that
if Linux had the specifications DVD viewing would be better than under
other OSes. DVD ripping is just _fantastic_, I made lots of ripping for
years under Win/Mac, mencoder is the most powerfull, precise and
reliable tool I've ever seen.

> I don't own a DVD recorder and I'm curious about Linux users'
> experiences with them.
Sorry, I do not have any, but I know that it is very well supported,
just like usual cd writers.

> I've been trying to rip DVDs using the dvd::rip software (based on
> transcode) but keep receiving read errors. If anyone has any special
> tips for DVD ripping I'm interested in them too.
I can not use it, because I use Linux under ppc, transcode is written in
i386 assembler. Mplayer works perfectly under ppc linux.

> I don't really know how to massage MPlayer's parameters, so any
> advice for improving video file playback performance is most
> welcome. Ogle is pretty straightforward, and the Ogle FAQ yielded
> some very useful tips(particularly the pointer to the xvattr
> utility). usually, for viewing dvds with mplayer I use

mplayer -dvd 1 -framedrop -ao sdl -vo sdl

> So, how's *your* DVD player performing under Linux ? :)
Marvellous, I do not use anything else.

If you have questions about details, I would be happy to tell you them,
but perhaps not over the LAU because it would really be off-topic, or
not?

> The Book Of Linux Music & Sound at
> http://www.nostarch.com/lms.htm
> The Linux Soundapps Site at http://linux-sound.org
I love your book, thank you very much for having written it!

raph

clef publique - öffentlicher Schlüssel - public key :
http://www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~proust/raph-pub-key.txt

S'il vous plaît, évitez de m'envoyer des attachements au format Word ou
PowerPoint. Voir
http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.fr.html