[linux-audio-user] Getting USB Audio Quattro to work

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Getting USB Audio Quattro to work
From: Denis de Leeuw Duarte (den_ddld_AT_hotmail.com)
Date: Wed May 14 2003 - 17:36:21 EEST

Hello!

Somebody told me a few of you have managed to get M-Audio's USB Audio
Quattro to work. I'd like to join your ranks, but I'm having a small
problem. By the looks of things the USB settings are all correct and the
ALSA (0.9.3) kernel module loads like it should, but the alsasound script
gives me a peculiar message:

        Starting sound driver: snd-usb-audio done
        No state is present for card tm

It then automatically writes a new asound.state file containing only this:

        state.tm{
        }

I don't know if this is good or bad or unimportant, but nonetheless, I
don't hear anything when playing back sounds. I found the .asoundrc file
for the Quattro by Patrick Shirkey somewhere and I saved it to my own
.asoundrc. Here is what some of the aplay commands output:

This actually _looks_ good, but I can't hear sound:

        denis_AT_denlap denis $ aplay /usr/kde/3.1/share/sounds/pop.wav
        Playing WAVE '/usr/kde/3.1/share/sounds/pop.wav' : Signed 16 bit
Little
        Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Mono

Here I tried to use the device names from the asoundrc file, but then I
get an error:

        denis_AT_denlap denis $ aplay -D quattro1
/usr/kde/3.1/share/sounds/pop.wav
        Playing WAVE '/usr/kde/3.1/share/sounds/pop.wav' : Signed 16 bit
Little
        Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Mono
        aplay: set_params:810: Channels count non available

So, my question is, what am I doing wrong? Did I take all the necessary
steps? Is there a way do get more diagnostics?

I hope you can answer my questions, because this thing is pretty expensive
for a paperweight ;-)

Regards,

Denis

p.s. if you need more info, let me know. Just to be on the safe side,
here's a few of my files. Note that the device is named 'tm' which is (i
think) because of the (tm) in the descriptor. I really don't know how all
of this wors though, so educate me please.

My /proc/asound/devices:

  0: [0- 0]: ctl
16: [0- 0]: digital audio playback
24: [0- 0]: digital audio capture
17: [0- 1]: digital audio playback
25: [0- 1]: digital audio capture
  8: [0- 0]: raw midi
  1: : sequencer
33: : timer

nMy /proc/asound/cards:

[tm ]: USB-Audio - USB AudioSport Quattro (tm)
                     M Audio USB AudioSport Quattro (tm) at usb-00:07.2-2