Re: [linux-audio-user] SCMS concerns

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] SCMS concerns
From: Anahata (anahata_AT_treewind.co.uk)
Date: Wed May 14 2003 - 17:52:07 EEST

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 09:47:19AM -0400, Rob wrote:

> I haven't tried it under Linux (hoping it was a Windows driver thing),
> but the Roland UA-30 (USB outboard thingy) records silence under Windows
> if you try
> to record a SCMS-restricted digital signal.

Even so, the first generation recording (from Mic to MD) is set for 1 copy
and should be recordable to a sound card - or are you saying that didn't
work either?

> I seem to remember that some iteration of the SB Live did the same and
> that it *was* a driver thing (a little dialog box would pop up saying
> "Copy Restricted" or something.) So you might have to get either
> something high-end or something cheap and Taiwanese for it to ignore
> SCMS.

Geven that we're in a Linux context here, surely SCMS would be
ideologically anathema to a typical open-source driver developer
and they wouldn't implement it?

--
Anahata
anahata_AT_treewind.co.uk       Tel: 01638 720444