RE: [linux-audio-user] Linux Soft Sampler...

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] Linux Soft Sampler...
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Wed May 14 2003 - 20:57:59 EEST

> I am anxiously anticipating the day I can throw out my WinXP box and trade
> it in for a fresh install of Linux to do my audio work.
>
> I have been looking around on the web for a soft sampler for Linux, but
> haven't come up with anything. There are virtual synths galore,
> but no full
> featured soft samplers, ala Gigastudio, Kontakt, Halion, etc. Am
> I missing
> anything?

No, you're not missing anything I know about. There is a low-level project
that is moving along very slowly on a Linux sampler, but I haven't seen a
message on that list in probably two months.

> Has anyone tried getting Native Instruments Kontakt (or any other Windows
> soft sampler) to run in Wine? I'm curious how/if this would work.

I cannot get Acid Pro, GigaSampler or Kontakt to install. Maybe someone
better than I could figure it out, but it's not plug and play...

> I run a console-only install of Mandrake on a 233Mhz as my
> webserver off of
> my cable modem connection, so I don't have X where I can test any of this.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.

You're welcome,
Mark