Re: [linux-audio-user] low latency

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] low latency
From: Jesse Chappell (jesse_AT_essej.net)
Date: Fri May 16 2003 - 17:58:42 EEST

Joe Hartley wrote on Fri, 16-May-2003:

> > The main problem is that jack writes data to a /tmp file. It has been
> > found that mounting /tmp as tmpfs (in RAM) solves the problems that many
> > people have experienced with lockups while using JACK.
>
> I have been plagued with little xruns for a while now, and couldn't
> figure out why! I'd seen something on using /tmpfs, but for some odd
> reason I thought it was for people using a journalled FS on their root
> filesystem. Duh!
>
> I applied this this morning, and have been recording some things, and
> have not seen a single xrun during recording!!! Woohoooooo! Hopefully
> this puts an end to that little problem.

This is interesting, can you please tell us what your filesystem
configuration is? I am very interested in hearing how this might
help folks with different fs's on /tmp. It was a particularly
dramatic improvement when /tmp was on reiserfs (when I discovered
the problem/solution). If people are seeing xrun problems while
using JACK, I recommend that they try one the options mentioned
in my previous reply email, and let us know the results, and your
fs configuration.

jlc