[linux-audio-user] audio cdrom permissions

Subject: [linux-audio-user] audio cdrom permissions
From: derek holzer (derek_AT_x-i.net)
Date: Sun May 18 2003 - 20:03:02 EEST

i've been having a bit of trouble with playing and ripping CDs, maybe
someone here can help?

i'm running Debian on a laptop, and as root i don't have any serious
problems doing either, but as a user it becomes a bit wierd... let me
explain...

as user, i am in groups cdrom and disk. i have set permissions as follows:

in /dev:
lr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 13 May 18 17:31 cdrom ->
cdroms/cdrom0
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 Jan 1 1970 cdroms

in /dev/cdroms
lr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 34 Jan 1 1970 cdrom0 ->
../scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/cd

in /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/
brw-rw-rw- 1 root cdrom 11, 0 Jan 1 1970 cd

i have none of these other cdrom devices listed in /dev:
/dev/hdc
/dev/sr0
/dec/scd0
but my drive appears to be ATAPI with SCSI emulation. i have added the
following to my /etc/lilo.conf to reflect this:
append="hdc=ide-scsi"
although commenting this out doesn't seem to do much.

i can rip CDs as a user with Grip, but RipperX tells me i need
permission to access the CD drive [cannot open cdrom drive]. i can play
CD audio with Alsaplayer, but not with XMMS. likewise, xfreecd doesn't
find the drive, but workman does. very inconsistant! running cdparanoia
-vQ as user gives the following:

Checking /dev/cdrom for cdrom...
    Testing /dev/cdrom for cooked ioctl() interface
        /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/cd is not a cooked ioctl CDROM.
    Testing /dev/cdrom for SCSI interface
        No generic SCSI device found to match CDROM device
/dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/cd

it seems that there are still some permissions to change somewhere, but
i can't for the life of me figure out where!

what have i missed?

thanks,
derek