[linux-audio-user] Re: Frustrated, small review on sequencers :(

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Re: Frustrated, small review on sequencers :(
From: Robert Jonsson (robert.jonsson_AT_dataductus.se)
Date: Tue May 20 2003 - 19:57:47 EEST

Hi Juan

>Hi, I basically write this because i'm pretty frustrated
>Today I wanted to learn how to use a typical sequencer
>(I mantain my own midi sequencer, but it's not very typical)
>I simply wanted a sequencer that supports a track editor
>and a pianoroll.
>
>So I went and checked some. Tried to see if I could
>get stuff done with any of them, so In order of what I tried,
>I'll list them here in the order I used them:

..snip..

>MUSE:
>
>This one looked pretty good at the begining, but
>some things I dont like. First of all, it didnt detect
>the midi devices properly, as i had to go and reset
>them in the midi ports menu.

I guess you are talking about external midi devices?

>MIDI input worked
>some times, and some others it didnt, and the
>overall interface is pretty UNintuitive. Many
>essential parts of the program lack proper shortcuts,
>and the ability to customize them (like rosegarden).
>I spent the most time with MUSE, trying to figure
>out how to do things. In most cases it took me a while
>but it wasnt bad, just strangely organized (like the track
>menu, the way you add tracks, the master tempo).
>The pianoroll looks good, but it lacks a lot of keyboard
>support, and also Painting events doesnt seem to be
>working, as i cant paint no matter how much I try.
>Documentation is too basic to learn how to use the
>program efficiently. It also crashes a lot, but
>on more specific situations.

MusE has always been the platform I've favoured, and with the current
status of things I don't think this will change anytime soon.
Considering your critisism I realise that you are probably right about
alot of usability issues, I've used it too long, I no longer think about
the quirks it has ;).

I understand though that it can be a major obstacles for new users
(together with lacking documentation).

I'd be very happy for any suggestions you might have about usability
enhancement (or anything else for that matter). You mentioned for
instance keyboard shortcuts and customizability which is duly noted (and
master tempo which is a long standing usability problem). You mentioned
trouble to do certain things, do you remember if there where other
"things" than those mentioned?
If you have more, please send it along.
Of course that goes for others also!

Regards,