Re: [linux-audio-user] Notation to freqs/Rosegarden

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Notation to freqs/Rosegarden
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Thu May 22 2003 - 17:55:37 EEST

>From: Chris Cannam <cannam_AT_all-day-breakfast.com>
>
>I'm not sure I understand this part. Which of the staffs in that
>image were you trying to enter? -- i.e. is the problem simply with
>the quarter-tone notation, or with entering a normal accidental?

I use Rosegarden 4.0.9.
The problem is that 4/4 mode does accept only two of those notes
seen in the image "http://www.funet.fi/~kouhia/arabicscales.png",
and then the editor refuses to add more.

It may be perfectly ok behaviour for old-time musicians, but
it is annoying. I would have a need for WYSIWYG editor which
allows me to type in what I see without the clever logic denying
all. Whoever made that image perhaps made some error?

OK. I'm only interested in to know what keys those notes represents
in the keyboard -- what keys I should press? What notes they are
in terms of C E F A G etc. What MIDI codes they have? What frequencies
they have? (No need to answer all of these questions, but would be
helpful).

Are there any documentation on these matters in the web?
I recently tried to find documentation on majors and more
complex key combinations but I could not find any. Anyone?

I have another problem: I found many Arabic MIDI files, but
I hear nothing when Rosegarden plays them (SB Live/Alsa).
If I don't get hardware synth working, then how do I connect
a SoundFont software synth (what do you recommend?) with
Rosegarden?

Why Timidity sounds like a toy? It is ok for testing if MIDI files
works but I want some quality. Is it really Timidity issue or could
it be some mastering issue?

Best regards,

Juhana