[linux-audio-user] MIDI recording, frustrated, set me straight

Subject: [linux-audio-user] MIDI recording, frustrated, set me straight
From: James Cameron (quozl_AT_us.netrek.org)
Date: Sat May 24 2003 - 12:38:14 EEST

G'day from outback Australia,

I'd like to record my Roland RD-150 piano at the MIDI protocol level,
adjust the tempo, maybe fix a few mistakes, and then play it back and
capture to audio to CD-R ... all to save having to take my piano with
me on gigs. It doesn't like the dirt roads.

I've spent about sixteen hours so far on the project, with some good
progress, but I'm missing a workable means to capture the MIDI data and
play it back at tempo.

I see from the mailing list archives (Frustrated, small review on
sequencers) that Rosegarden 4 might be an active project to try.

Does this match what I need? I've not used these sort of tools before,
so I lack the right terminology. I'm not convinced I know what people
mean when they say "sequencer" or "tracker".

Here is what I have cobbled together so far ... separate to my other
systems ...

- hardware: Pentium II 266MHz, 64Mb, 1.6Gb IDE, CD-R IDE, SB Live PCI,
- software: Debian testing/unstable, ALSA 0.9.3 on Linux 2.4.20,
- packages: brec, sweep, cdrecord (record sound, edit it to remove the
  silence, then record to CD-R)

I had hoped it might be as simple as reading and writing to a device
node, e.g. "cat /dev/sequencer > file", but all notes fire at once,
when the data is written back to the node, so I guess additional timing
ioctl() logic is required.

I reviewed some 15 MIDI programs, one by one, but I was unable to
record and play back, due to one reason or another. Programs tried
include JAZZ++, Anthem, BINARS (marked obsolete by author), Brahms,
Melys (sourceforge downloads down), MidiMountain, Shake Tracker,
TekTracker, pystepseq (page missing), Rosegarden 2.1, seq24 (build
failure on libgtkmm.so), ASeqView (didn't view a thing), MusE (no
detection of MIDI interface), Sted2 (no data), libtse3 (no recording
example program).

--
James Cameron    mailto:quozl_AT_us.netrek.org     http://quozl.netrek.org/