Re: [linux-audio-user] USB Quattro and Jack questions

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] USB Quattro and Jack questions
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Tue May 27 2003 - 19:30:03 EEST

Brian Redfern wrote:
> No one's added firewire audio device support to alsa, with usb there's
> standards for audio and midi, I know that Kino can record audio from a
> firewire camera, but I'm not sure if there's a standard for firewire audio
> devices in the same way we have a usb audio/midi standard.

It would be worth checking at the page for firewire support to see if
anyone has written a native firewire example. Takashi based the
usb-audio driver on the one for OSS which Alan Cox wrote.

> On Tue, 27 May 2003, iriXx wrote:
>

>>there's a firewire 410 interface been put out by m-audio, similiar to the
>>quattro but with 4 input 10 output.. looks lovely and the performance sounds
>>great.... is it supported by ALSA yet?....
>>
>>bw
>>m~
>>
>>Austin wroted:

>>>Hi Patrick,
>>>Sorry to jump in here, but I'm like a day away from picking up a multi-i/o
>>>interface like that.
>>>
>>>I was leaning towards the quattro USB. Are you saying you've NEVER been
>>>able to record four channels without dropouts? Are you guessing the PCI
>>>version (whatever it's called) would have fewer dropouts with jack?

I've successfully recorded 4 channels without dropouts between two
machines over nfs but not with jack. I can use jack without dropouts
just not at lowlat. I have to use 2048 if I want to use a few apps at
once. I usually use them on two channels. Recently I was seeing
problems with jack apps and lost the inputs for 3 and 4 so I have
updated to the new cvs. My last one was March 21.

It worked very well with jack until one of the last incarnations stuffed
up a whole lot of my apps. now jacklaunch doesn't work with terminatorX
again. I had it running a jackd session with ams, two alsaplayers and my
friend on bass for a night and I routinuely use it for sampling live at
concerts.

So far I have done some recordings with it but only in duplex because I
am still working on mixer techniques. I generally get audio lag while
using the alt out on the mixer into the device at 2048 so I haven't been
able to use it for serious four tracking.

I have done some interesting (to me) things with it so far and it's
fairly portable and rugged.

If you want something specific to recording the maudio delta series or
rme hammerfall series (maybe not hdsp9652) are very well tested.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
http://www.boosthardware.com

Being on stage with the band in front of crowds shouting, "Get off! No! We want normal music!", I think that was more like acting than anything I've ever done.

Goldie, 8 Nov, 2002 The Scotsman