Re: [linux-audio-user] usb midi

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] usb midi
From: R Parker (rtp405_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed May 28 2003 - 00:58:43 EEST

Hi Clemens,

Before I reply below; with your instructions which due
to my lack of familiarity I only partially grasp, I've
configured a setup where Input ports are working but
the output ports aren't open/opening.

The output ports in this simple setup are used to
transmit MTC generated by Ardour back to the mixing
consol (Tascam DM-24) in order to sync the Ardour and
DM-24 transports.

To be half way there is very encouraging. Anyway, I'll
reply to your suggestions below.

--- Clemens Ladisch <clemens_AT_ladisch.de> wrote:

> Well, what I said earlier isn't entirely correct,
> accessing
> /dev/snd/midiC1D0 will open the first free port.
> Connecting ports will
> open them, so the first free port in your case was
> probably Port 8.
>
> And when you connect port x to port 0, data from the
> device at port x will
> be written to port 0, but you won't be able to read
> it from port 0 because
> MIDI Out 1 and MIDI In 1 are different ports.

Here's what I've got and you'll notice "Output: NONE".
I've been staring at all this for awhile and am not
improving my understanding.

>./rawmidi -v -i hw:3,0 -I /dev/snd/midiC3D0
Using:
Input: device hw:3,0
Output: NONE
snd_rawmidi_open hw:3,0 failed: -2
Read midi in
Press ctrl-c to stop
read f0
read 7f
read 01
read 06
read 01
read f7

The "read:_N" are an mmc stop instruction. BTW,
'ctrl-c' fails to exit rawmidi, I have 'kill...'.

Anyway, at this point I need a device with both the
Input and Outputs that are open.

> The ALSA library hides the device files behind
> device names. Instead of
> accessing the ALSA device files directly, you are
> supposed to use some
> program which uses the ALSA library.

Does this apply to applications? If yes, then Ardour
accessing the Alsa device="/dev/snd/midiC3D0" directly
 should be changed to use the Alsa library. Yes, no?

> There is an ugly test program which can display the
> data from an ALSA
> rawmidi port in the alsa-lib/test directory. Please
> go there, run "make
> rawmidi", and start it with
> ./rawmidi -v -i hw:1,x

It's telling us a story. :)