[linux-audio-user] [Fwd: [Alsa-devel] USB quattro testing]

Subject: [linux-audio-user] [Fwd: [Alsa-devel] USB quattro testing]
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Wed May 28 2003 - 07:56:41 EEST

I sent this to alsa-dev last night. Some of you may want to read it here
too.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
http://www.boosthardware.com

Being on stage with the band in front of crowds shouting, "Get off! No! We want normal music!", I think that was more like acting than anything I've ever done.

Goldie, 8 Nov, 2002 The Scotsman

attached mail follows:

I have been testing with an intel8x0 running into the quattro while running all the four inputs. Input 3 and 4 started off working but after killing off jack and rm /tmp/jack a few times it has become impossible to get sound out of it with either alsa or jack even though the intel8x0 was still functional.

This is the jack comandline as root with lowlatency on.

jackd -v -R -a -d alsa -d q4b -r 44100 -p 4096 -n3

Testing with jack only through i/o 3,4 I get a crystal clear sound.

The usb-audio driver has lost the ability to read the first two channels completely, replacing them with white noise and the multi or route plugins don't want to play nicely with jack even though this device is sample synced.

I tested recording with jackrec and got a lot of audio dropouts while playing. I then used alsaplayer running with the input plugin and that was interesting. It gave the audio stream more of a pumping sound which was also adjustable by the pitch control so I could get a nice warped effect going. It wouldn't stand up to live recording but it could be fun to play with.

After rebooting and mounting /tmp instead of /tmp/jack (as well as spending two or three hours trying to get it back before hand). I am currently listening with ams in a direct loop and it sounds the same as alsaplayer input. This is a good recording of what I get using a sine wave through inputs 3,4 recorded with the ams wave output while using 2in,4out.

http://www.djcj.org/audio/test/052703-amsrec-4i2o.wav

This is with arecord -f cd for inputs 1,2:

http://www.djcj.org/audio/test/052703-arec-2a.wav

============= pcm.quattro { type multi;

slaves.a.pcm "hw:2,0"; slaves.a.channels 2; slaves.b.pcm "hw:2,1"; slaves.b.channels 2;

bindings.0.slave a; bindings.0.channel 0; # left bindings.1.slave a; bindings.1.channel 1; # right bindings.2.slave b; bindings.2.channel 0; # left bindings.3.slave b; bindings.3.channel 1; # right } ctl.quattro { type hw; card 2; }

pcm.q4b { type route; slave.pcm "quattro"; ttable.0.0 1; ttable.1.1 1; ttable.2.2 1; ttable.3.3 1;

}

ctl.q4b { type hw; card 2; } ===================

--

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.net email is sponsored by: ObjectStore. If flattening out C++ or Java code to make your application fit in a relational database is painful, don't do it! Check out ObjectStore. Now part of Progress Software. http://www.objectstore.net/sourceforge _______________________________________________ Alsa-devel mailing list Alsa-devel_AT_lists.sourceforge.net https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/alsa-devel