Re: [linux-audio-user] Clipping from USB audio device

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Clipping from USB audio device
From: Tim (helycos_AT_lycos.co.uk)
Date: Sat Jun 07 2003 - 00:56:45 EEST

Paul Winkler wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 09:37:55AM +0200, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
>>This would be theoretically possible, but IMHO it's more probable that
>>your amp produces more than standard line volume, "just to be sure"
>

> Remember also that there are two standards for line level:
> "pro" (+4) and "consumer" (-10). THere's about 14 dB difference
> between them. I say "about" because IIRC they use different
> references for 0 dB or something. But "pro" really is a lot louder

You people really are fountains of knowledge. Thanks so much for
sharing all that with me. Would it be a fair assumption that I should
be using a USB audio device that has mixer controls so I can adjust for
these different line volumes?

FTR, the manual for my amp doesn't specify the line out volume-only says
150mV/1.6kOhms

Thanks, Tim :-)