[linux-audio-user] recording problem with arecord / asound.conf issue?

Subject: [linux-audio-user] recording problem with arecord / asound.conf issue?
From: Akos Maroy (darkeye_AT_tyrell.hu)
Date: Mon Jun 09 2003 - 12:10:43 EEST

I'm still playing around and trying to get my Delta 1010LT to work, so I
can record from the different input channels.

I'm now simply trying to record using arecord, but I can't seem to
record anything but silence. the specific problems I get:

- I can't recrod from the hardware device as configured /etc/asound.conf

I try:

$ arecord -f cd -d 5 -D hw test.wav
Recording WAVE 'test.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz,
Stereo
arecord: set_params:805: Sample format non available

or

$ arecord -f cd -d 5 -D ice1712 test.wav
Recording WAVE 'test.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz,
Stereo
arecord: set_params:805: Sample format non available

where

$ cat /etc/asound.conf
pcm.ice1712 {
    type hw
    card 0
}

ctl.ice1712 {
    type hw
    card 0
}

is the config that was hinted at the 1010LT ALSA driver installation page.

BTW,

$ arecord -l
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: 1010LT [M Audio Delta 1010LT], device 0: ICE1712 multi [ICE1712
multi]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

anyways, what does it mean by "Sample format non available", as the
sound card supports this format? also, how do I list the available formats?

- I can record from the 'default' device, but only silence

I can succesfully run:

$ arecord -f cd -d 5 -D default test.wav
Recording WAVE 'test.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz,
Stereo

but, it only records silence, even though all my channels are _not_
muted, and I have input running in to the sound card at hardware inputs
3 and 4. I can see this from envy24control. I also experimented with
default:0,1 ... 0,3 and default:1,0 ... 3,0, but the same occurs.

what am I doing wrong?

Akos