Re: [linux-audio-user] how to build a studio?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] how to build a studio?
From: Anahata (anahata_AT_treewind.co.uk)
Date: Wed Jun 11 2003 - 12:29:38 EEST

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 01:30:45PM +0530, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:

> i got my PC setup with an RME HDSP-9652 + SPDIF A/D D/A converter.
> Ardour works great. i'm planning to purchase a FocusRite
> OctoPre/ADAT and a bunch of microphones.
>
> i think i need speakers too.
>
> Is there anything like digital speakers or digital amps which
> can accept ADAT directly from my linux box and turn it into
> sound? Or do i need to convert ADAT to analogue and plug
> that into a conventional amp/speaker system?

A speaker or amp with digital inputs is only a D-A converter + amplifier
in a box. If you've invested in a good D-A converter, you just need a good
(conventional, analog) power amplifier and speakers.

Isn't ADAT 8-track? If you want to listen to that on speakers it will have
to be mixed to stereo, and if you want to do as much as possible digitally
you should do that mixing digitally, so your final chain for monitoring
will be:
stereo S/PDIF -> D-A converter -> amplifier -> speaker.

You could get active speakers which combine the last two stages.

--
Anahata
anahata_AT_treewind.co.uk       Tel: 01638 720444