Re: [linux-audio-user] how to build a studio?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] how to build a studio?
From: R Parker (rtp405_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jun 11 2003 - 13:12:17 EEST

Hi,

Monitors
In the control room (printing, mixing) we use a pair
of cheap Alesis M1Active, I think they were $600.00.
They're not the best monitors but I know the room and
the monitors. They work great for me. They're tough as
rocks, we've never blown one and there's been a couple
engineers that cut their teeth on them.

For years we ran those little N1 or whatever it was
that every studio in the world used. They were the
most gawd awful things. I hated them so much that I've
blocked their names from my memory. They'd tear your
ears apart and you'd experience hearing fatigue. On
top of their ripping your head off they'd blow up
everytime a new engineer ran the room. Well, not
everytime but often enough to piss me off.

In our mastering room we run a pair of Mackie HR824.
They cost about $1,200.00 a pair. These are pretty
damned nice monitors.

When we purchased the HR824 monitors, my two studio
business partners and I went to a pro audio shop with
a handful of CDs that we're all familiar with. We did
comparisons on six or eight brands and a couple models
for all the brands. Nothing compared to the HR824.
There really wasn't much to talk about.

The only brand we didn't get to run an A B comparison
on was Genelec. But they're about double the price.
Out of our range.

Microphones
If you need one real good microphone that can get you
miles of results consider the Neumann M 147 tube. It's
about $1,600.00 USD. It's a great microphone for
percussion, accoustic and electric guitar, no good for
kick drums, good for vocals. I almost always run the M
147 through an Avalon Vt 737sp.

With some vocalists I've experienced difficult
harmonic distortion or some damned thing with that
combo. Then there are those who sound perfect. Maybe
it's the combining of two tube devices in one chain.

The first time I did a serious percussion session with
the M 147 we tracked about 20 different drums and
various percussion instruments. After laying all the
tracks, the client came into the control room, heard
the mix and said, "Ron, I've never heard such
beautiful drums." I'd like to take all the credit for
creating that magic but the truth is that mic and
preamp did alot of the work.

Kick drum, AKG D12 E it's the old square one. I think
it cost me $200.00 used. It sounds better than the new
egg shaped model. Run through the Vt 737sp and it is
killer.

Snare, Sure Beta 57

Overheads, Sure SM81 which are OK if I ran a bigger
budget I'd replace them.

Toms, EV N/D 408 or something like that, they're the
eggish shaped things on the swivel mounts. I actually
like them alot.

ron

http://why-compete.org