Re: [linux-audio-user] Mastering; Rezound, fir filter, digital clipping

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Mastering; Rezound, fir filter, digital clipping
From: R Parker (rtp405_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jun 13 2003 - 22:06:30 EEST

Hi Oyvind,

--- Oyvind Hammer <oyvind.hammer_AT_nhm.uio.no> wrote:

> Hi Ron, let me try a little on this one.

In fact, thanks much for your replies. You've very
accurately drawn conclusions about the problem that I
vaguely described and taught me a couple of
interesting details. I needed the lesson.

> > What's interesting about this specific set of
> clips is
> > that they are mostly inaudible. The clipping
> occurs
> > around 10kHz -> 15kHz and are almost all within
> the
> > high hat.
>
> This is a little strange. Althoug clipping generally
> adds high-frequency content (and can be dampened a
> little by a low-pass filter, effectively rounding
> off
> those nasty sharp bends in the curve), I would
> expect
> some goo below 10 kHz. Maybe it's masked by your
> music.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's clipping below
10kHz but the example file overall mix level should
have been dropped a few decibals. Because the high hat
is mixed louder than any other instrument it's the
instrument that's level exceeded the 16bit range and
consequently it's the cause for the clips in the 10 ->
15kHz range.

> > *can engineers safely ignore inaudible clips and
> tell
> > their clients ... not to worry
>
> Ha ha, they do all the time :-)

Rezound does have an off flag for the clip indicator
so those nasty red lines go away. Of course that
doesn't do anything to hide those flattened off wav
patterns. Maybe we need a "take the sucky look away
button." :)

Thanks much. I've got plenty to write about and am off
to do so,

Ron Parker