Re: [linux-audio-user] Mastering; Rezound, fir filter, digital clipping

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Mastering; Rezound, fir filter, digital clipping
From: Mark Knecht (markknecht_AT_attbi.com)
Date: Sat Jun 14 2003 - 17:13:54 EEST

On Sat, 2003-06-14 at 01:02, Oyvind Hammer wrote:
> OK then, just a last word on this (off-topic!)
> CD thread to sum up. For the record, I haven't really
> got a clue what I'm talking about either, but
> did also read my Pohlmann all those years ago :-)
>
> 1. As Ross said, Even in the audio CD format, there
> is enough error correction built in to basically avoid
> bit errors in the reading of the disk. To make this
> system break down, you need really large damage,
> like putting a piece of black tape across the
> disk. Does happen, but not often. The player
> will then fudge sound by interpolation.

What do you do when everyone is right? (And everyone is wrong!) ;-)

Enabling Error Detection & Correction (EDC) on an audio CDR is an
_option_. It is not required. EDC is required (as per the specs) for
data CDRs.

Just to offer for discussion, many popular Windows programs (and
possibly some Linux programs) do not *by default* enable EDC for CDR
audio disks they write. A 74 minute CDR will hold 74 minutes of non-EDC
based music, but only about 63 minutes of EDC based audio. (An 80 minute
CDR holds about 69 minutes of EDC audio) How many minutes can you get on
your CDR?

Check the specs of your program and the options you use to convince
yourself that you are taking advantage of this feature.

I haven't found any definitive information on the requirements and/or
default state of EDC on commercially sold CDs. If anyone has a link on
that, I'd be interested.

> 3. So, in other words, I think I disagree with
> Mark - the problem, if any, *will* be solved by
> recording digitally from an audio CD player with
> digital out. Just be sure to get the word clock
> settings right to avoid bit sync problems.

Learning is cool! ;-)