Re: [linux-audio-user] Mastering; Rezound, fir filter, digital clipping

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Mastering; Rezound, fir filter, digital clipping
From: R Parker (rtp405_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jun 18 2003 - 18:16:25 EEST

--- Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com>
wrote:
> R Parker wrote:
> >
> > BTW, the only jack client wav editer/player at the
> > moment is Rezound.
> >

> There's alsop ecawave or tkeca or something like
> that.

Right on. However, ecasound is a nondestructive DAW
right?

Please tolerate my elaborations, I know some of us
understand mastering but some of us don't.

I can't tell you all the reasons for why a destructive
wav editor is the correct solution for mastering. But
I can provide one simple example. Consider the heads
and tails of a mix. These must be eliminated. Not just
in representation i.e. trimming an ardour peak file
start and stop point. But they can't exist at all.
They've got to be destroyed. This is analogous to the
old razor blade tape cutting days where the multitrack
mixes were dumped to two track tape and the two track
tape was cut and spliced to adjust timing between
songs.

Multitrack nondestructive DAWs aren't designed for
this task. Timing between songs is one part of the
mastering engineers responsibilities.

Because wav editors are destructive, their final
product can be dumped onto the filesystem and then any
CD burning application can be used to order and time
the song list.

Ardour has an incomplete feature set for exporting CD
markers. This is a great thing for burning rough mixes
to CD. But it doesn't fulfill the requirements of a
robust mastering solution.

OK, to venture off topic and risk greying the lines. A
DAW can be the ultimate mastering environment. But
nobody has developed the solution and many engineers
don't understand and reject the notion. Daniel James
accurately anticipate this--if I interpreted his
comment correctly.

Consider inserting JAMin in its full implementation
post Ardour stereo buss. This is an awesome prospect
for many reasons. However it has a glaring weakness.
How to put 10 multitrack songs on the time line and
perform all the tedious mastering tasks including the
timing between songs which I mentioned above.

This is possible with the Ardour chunks. A chunk in
Ardour as I described but isn't implemented or working
can represent many tracks. The chunk appears as one
track. Chunks can be copied and pasted anywhere. Those
tracks within a chunk can have any start and stop
point. This type of Ardour chunk makes two things
possible; A the ultimate song arrangement interface
and B the ultimate mastering interface.

B is contingent on being able to open arbitrary chunks
in a common session. AFAIK, there is no equivalent,
not in protools, digital performer, tdm, etc. Imagine
that the ardour master-chunk.session represents 10
songs with 24 tracks in each. :) That's 240 tracks
where all automation and DSP is in tact to the
multitrack layer and it's computationaly no more
expensive than one twenty four track session.

Maybe my old man was right and I'm just a turd tossing
tree dweller but I suspect this environment would do
for the surgical treatment of audio the equivalent of
what radiation therapy has done to the practice of
blood letting with leeches.

Ah what the hell, I need more coffee.

ron "i love leeches, but only for fishing" parker