[linux-audio-user] Re: [Ardour-users] Re: [ardour-dev] Re: [MusE] Re: Syncing muse with ardour

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Re: [Ardour-users] Re: [ardour-dev] Re: [MusE] Re: Syncing muse with ardour
From: Allan Klinbail (allank_AT_labyrinth.net.au)
Date: Sun Jun 22 2003 - 18:41:12 EEST

an additional note down the bottom.

On Mon, 2003-06-23 at 01:24, Allan Klinbail wrote:
> Hi I was going to do more testing of this earlier with a more reliable
> device than the MTPAV (the device is reliable, Id on't think the driver
> is just yet) but more stuff popped up
>

> I should get time this week..
>
> although one question is the intel8x0 driver reliable for MIDI or should
> I install an old SB PCI128 (ens1371)?
>
> On Fri, 2003-06-20 at 11:22, Paul Davis wrote:
>
> </snip>
>

> > >3. the *same* virtual midi interface is configured as MIDI port in muse,
> > >and is configured under MIDI Sync as Master-MMC O-Port.
> > >
> > >Though, transport is not reliably connected. Sometimes ardour seems to
> > >ignore the MMC sent by muse.
> >
> > any particular patterns associated with this behaviour?
>
> I found this true with external devices... I can't give a specific
> pattern b/c I was repeating the same action..
>
> Play Start on MPC2000xl (start from beginning or start)
> Start on MPC2000xl (restart from wherever it is meant to be)
> Stop.
>
> It was the stop message that was missed most often..
>

> > did you try the other way around? i can't recall how much MMC ardour
> > generates. i know it will do some (if "Send MMC" is enabled).
>
> I did with beta1 and was not successful

> > i'd like to track this one in more detail. i use this a lot and its
> > never caused a crash.
>
> I experienced this as well, but only until I hooked up an external
> device with MMC, it appeared as if once an MMC enabled device was
> hooked up I didn't have a problem. ... it doesn't seem logical though
>
> </snip>

> > MMC is not the correct method of syncing these two apps. JACK is. We
> > are still working on finishing the JACK transport API. Just FYI :)
> >
> > --p
> >

> Yes this makes perfect sense when audio is involved in MusE. However for
> those of us using MusE (or any other sequencer) to sequence outboard
> gear that is to be recorded as audio in ardour MMC makes sense and would
> be nice to use in the interim. (also possibility of diabling audio functionality in MusE still allowing for sync via MMC)

This question maybe redundant as I haven't assigned MIDI CC control to
ardour yet and don't know if it can record/sequence this data
(automation?)

The other use for this would be to have MusE sequence the required
control data, be it a volume slider or a control for a plugin parameter
(i.e. filter sweeps ). This does not require sample-accurate sync but
would again be good if MMC could handle the most basic of requirements,
start and stop, locate information is nice.. but not essential.